Monday, July 31, 2017

Fresh Strawberry Pie


I always remember having Shoney's strawberry pie for special occasions growing up. It was my dad's favorite so my mom would get it for father's day, his birthday and sometimes as a surprise for him.  My specific memories of it are from our old house that I only lived in until I was 7. I've always wondered if there was a good recipe for it and after looking through so many I was hopeful that this one would work out! And it totally did! Gray was a complete skeptic when I was telling him about this recipe, then he tasted it and now he wants me to make it for his birthday! Ha! This recipe is adapted from Sugar Apron.

9 inch pie crust (homemade or store bought and cooked according to directions)
5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 3oz box Strawberry Jello
1 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp powdered sugar

Place the sliced strawberries down in the bottom of the cooked and cooled pie crust. Whisk together the sugar and cornstarch.  Place in a pot and stir in the water. Bring to a boil then turn down heat and whisk for several minutes as the mixture. When the mixture has thickened up whisk in the strawberry jello. Pour over the strawberries. Refrigerate the pie until it is set. Place the heavy cream down in a bowl. Add the powdered sugar then using and electric mixture beat until it forms stiff peaks. Spread over the pie. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment