Monday, June 25, 2012

Fried Green Tomatoes


I grew up in the South. Actually, I lived in the South until a few months ago. Some might say I still live in the South but I promise you that I don't.  If you can't get sweet tea everywhere then it's not the South. That brings us to Fried Green Tomatoes, I grew up with these bad boys. And I adore them. I had never made them until the other night though.  After being very homesick last week, I needed some South back in my life so a special sandwich (which is coming tomorrow) was put on the menu and I needed to fry up some of these bad boys. I read about 5 different recipes and ended up making this up myself.

2 Green Tomatoes (sliced into half inch circles)
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp cajun seasoning
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
canola oil
salt

After slicing the tomatoes lay them on a paper towel and let them sit for several minutes. Heat oil over medium heat.  Season the tomatoes with salt. In one bowl place the flour and cajun seasoning, in a separate bowl place the milk and the egg, and in the last bowl place the cornmeal. Mix the flour and cajun seasoning together. Beat the egg and milk together.   Dip the tomato in the flour, then the egg mixture then the cornmeal.  Once the oil has heated to the desired temperature place the tomatoes in oil. Fry on each side for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.  When they are done, place on a paper towel to drain.



This recipe was featured on Eat At Home Cooks Ingredient Spotlight for Tomatoes.

1 comment:

  1. Yummmy! I fixed these tonight, and it is the closest I have ever gotten to Mom's! I'm going to Pin all your recipes, ok? :)

    ReplyDelete