Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Creamy Basil Tomato Soup


I love tomato soup.  I actually didn't like it until I was an adult.  I don't know why, I just didn't.  Then one day I had it again and fell in love.  Especially if I can have a grilled cheese with it.  This is a great, quick and simple tomato soup recipe.  I think it's my new favorite! This recipe is from Unsophisticook

4 tbsp butter
2 onions (chopped)
4 garlic cloves (minced)
2 (28 oz) cans whole tomatoes
3 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper
1/2 cup fresh basil (chopped)
1/2 cup heavy cream

Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and saute until for 2 minutes.  Add the garlic and continue to saute until the onions are translucent.  Add in the cans of tomatoes, chicken stock, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 10 minutes.  Put half of it in the blender and blend then blend the remaining half with the basil.  Add all of the soup back to the pot and whisk in the cream.  

1 comment: