Friday, October 1, 2010

Ginger Chewies for National Homemade Cookie Day


Ginger cookies and snickerdoodle cookies are my favorites, I know I inherited this from my mom. Growing up we went skiing every winter, my dad and brother would ski every single day but mom and I would only ski 2 or 3 days the other days we would spend shopping and looking for a cookie store with these cookies so that we could sit and have hot chocolate and cookies out in the snow. Maybe I love these cookies so much because I relate them to that memory or maybe I love them so much because they are simply the best. I got the recipes off of What Megan's Making, they are wonderful and chewy and flavorful and my favorite cookies ever.


2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup molasses
about 1/4 cup granulated sugar

Make sure the rack is in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. In a separate bowl, cream together the brown sugar and butter until smooth then add the egg and molasses. Beat for about a minute until everything is incorporated and the color is even. Slowly add the flour mixture and slowly mix as you add it.

Make small balls out of the dough (you make them as small or large as you would like depending on the size of the cookie you want) and roll the balls in granulated sugar. Space them out giving them plenty of room to spread. Bake cookies until the tops are firm but the centers are still soft, they take about 14 minutes. (When they come out of the oven I like to sprinkle them with a little more sugar.) Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer the cookies to a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment